Thursday, November 7, 2013

Grown-Ups Weekend 2013

It's the most wonderful time of the year that has nothing to do with Christmas.

That's right folks - it's selfish mommy weekend.

Some of you may not understand the importance of such an event.  In my world, this is the fastest 72 hours of the year.  It is the only weekend of the entire year that my husband and I go anywhere without our children.

It. Is. Glorious.

This is not to say that I do not love my children.  I do...with every ounce of my being.

But some days they make me want to go run another half marathon with no training and a million blisters.  You know, they're normal kids.  And since we are really pretty lacking in family here, with the closest blood relatives over six hours away, we really only get this one time each year to just do whatever the heck we want to do.

Doing what we want = drinking beer without shame!
So what would you do with a weekend that was all your own?  If your wonderful in-laws came to stay at your home, take care of your kids, and promise not to kill your small horse of a dog, where would you go?  For us, that answer is easy...St. Augustine, Florida.  We jump in a car with our two best friends (who are childless) and have ridiculous arguments about the definition of carnies and other such nonsense until we arrive at our lavish accommodations within walking distance of historic downtown St. Augustine. 

And by lavish, I mean clean with mini-fridges and the empowering ability to walk everywhere so no one has to be stuck with driving duties.

Please keep in mind that this annual tradition coincides with The World's Largest Cocktail Party in Jacksonville...and since I neither work for either university nor do I care about the correctness of the title I will continue to call the game by it's most appropriate title.  As a proud Dawg I love this weekend, as much as I love to hate the swamp lizards.  And now that my kid-less weekend shares this awesomeness I just bask in the glory of all that is good and enjoy every single moment.

2011 at the Landing - never again!
We did go one year to Jacksonville and hit up the Landing.  That will never happen again.  While it's not the worst place in the world, it is the best way to find out just how young you are not as you watch college "kids" act like total schmucks and make you feel like the most responsible person in the world.

Now that this year has come to a close, I look forward to the next...we have won every year we've been to Florida.  That in itself is reason enough to go. Only 360 days until GUW 2014 :)




No comments:

Post a Comment