Thursday, November 7, 2013

Early Learning at Home

Before I even start this post, let me preface it with two important facts:

1. Not everyone is going to want to do what I am doing in this and subsequent posts.
2. Not everyone SHOULD do what I am doing...it's a calling that not everyone is frankly good at.

Now that we have that out of the way...I LOVE TEACHING AT HOME!

First of all, the students are amazing.

Look at that face! How could you NOT love it?
Second, I can teach in my pajamas.  No picture of that, naturally.

Now the most awesome aspect of this is that I can really provide individualized instruction for the kiddos I teach.  I am not confined to and restricted by a narrow curriculum.  The upside of being an educator is that I can assess the learning level of my kiddos and build a curriculum that fits their needs...constantly pushing them to reach just beyond what they are currently capable of into development.

Look how hard they are working :)

This is something that, sadly, just isn't done enough in any large school.  Teachers are stretched to the limit with very large class sizes and handcuffed to standardized curricula and assessments that measure little more than the ability to take a test.  The fact that this practice is becoming common in early childhood is sad.

So each week as we learn and grow I will post about our progress and give tips and tricks to help others try to do the same.  I am so looking forward to this journey!

And so is she...clearly.



No comments:

Post a Comment